My wife and I ventured to Jacobson Park in search of ever elusive bird. Any bird. I wanted to try some tips I had picked up from my first camera meeting. Camera set on AP. ISO 100 (bright day). F/5.6. Partial metering. I used manual focus, as I remembered I needed to focus on the eye of the bird. I thought I did pretty well for my first day. Got home, threw the raw images on the computer, and almost ALL of them were out of focus. Here is one that was not out of focus, but that was pure luck...
So, by doing some fancy Googling, I discovered I needed to adjust the diopter on my camera. Took a few test shots in my backyard and the focus was on target. Any day you learn something new means it's not a wasted day. So hopefully pictures like the above will the rule instead of the exception. As far as composition, white balance, etc, that's for the future. I first want to feel comfortable in the knowledge I can take a photo with the camera set on manual and not worry I will come back with a ton of fuzzy images.

It was a fun activity and we got to see some unusual birds. I need to get my bird book out for next time - not for this particular photo, but others. You did a fabulous job of being stealth and getting close to the birds.
ReplyDelete